A former Royal Residence with a distinguished story…
BUILT IN THE 1840s probably by Thomas Cubitt – the then leading master builder in London – Albert Cottage was bought in 1852 by Prince Albert to be part of a Botanic Garden development of the Osborne House Estate, and was used together with the adjacent Osborne Cottage by Royal guests.
In 1899 a covered corridor was constructed to link the two properties and allow easy movement between them without guests having to brave any inclement weather. This corridor now links the main Hotel and Consort Restaurant & Bar area.
When Queen Victoria died in 1901, her successor Edward VII kept both cottages for the use of Victoria’s youngest daughter, Princess Beatrice. In 1913 the Princess moved to Carisbrooke Castle and Albert Cottage was sold to Sir Richard Burbidge, philanthropist Managing Director of Harrods. It was again sold in 1924 to The Hon. Elizabeth Storr, widow of Major L.P. Storr DSO, a war hero killed in action in France in 1918. After later neglect it was turned into a hotel in 1999 and has recently been further developed and restyled by current Director Annie Horne.